GitHub is looking for a Senior Network Engineer to join our growing Network Engineering team. The right person is interested in building high performance networks, using and developing tools to automate network operations, and working with a team of other network and infrastructure engineers to bring our production network to the next level. You will be working on expanding our production network as well as evaluating and integrating with cloud providers to extend our infrastructure footprint.
The GitHub Infrastructure team is predominantly remote and the right candidate can thrive in an environment of asynchronous conversation. We expect you to have strong communication skills and be able to create working relationships with coworkers in locations around the globe.
Please note: this position can be based in either San Francisco or remote within the United States.
- Managing GitHub's production network operations.
- Using, developing and implementing software to automate network tasks.
- Developing our existing network monitoring and alerting systems.
- Evaluating and implementing state of the art denial of service mitigation technologies.
- Enabling the GitHub team by providing a secure, fast, and robust network platform.
- Building networks from first principles rather than vendor architecture designs.
- Learning and training on the latest trends in the networking world.
- Guiding data center expansion and managing our rapidly increasing capacity demands.
- Improving GitHub's ability to provide high-quality service during DDoS attacks.
- Design, engineer and implement large scale data center networks across multiple geographic locations.
- Research, develop & deploy distinct technologies and network topologies in order to evolve and scale our data centers.
- Partner with our software teams to develop and implement the tooling required to provision, manage, monitor and troubleshoot our networks.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- 7+ years of experience
- Hands-on leadership with network design, planning and project execution.
- Plan, build, and maintain network, data center, CDN, POP and backbone infrastructure.
- Proven ability to manage large, highly visible infrastructure projects to completion with little to no supervision.
- Strong grasp of routing protocols, e.g. OSPF, IS-IS, BGP.
- Experience with global service provider networks including transit, transport and peering strategies.
- Software development experience relevant to building automation and monitoring tooling.
- Extensive experience with Juniper, Arista and Cisco routers and switches.
- Experience mitigating DDoS attacks.
- Demonstrated proficiency with IPv4 and IPv6 routing.
- Extensive experience with MP-BGP.
- Hands on experience with network protocol-based traffic engineering implementations.
- Ability to participate in a regular networking on-call rotation.
- Scripting experience with Python, Ruby, or other languages strongly preferred.
Nice to Have:
- Experience with DWDM/CWDM active/passive optical equipment.
- Experience in content or service provider environments a plus.
- Experience with global anycast networks.
- Experience with network security.
GitHub is committed to building a diverse workforce and strongly encourages applications from people of color and other groups currently underrepresented in tech. We are looking for candidates who:
Display a strong commitment to building an inclusive tech environment
Have demonstrated resilience and resourcefulness both in and outside of the workplace
Can bring a new perspective based on unique educational, professional, and lived experiences
Can effectively communicate with people from disparate backgrounds
Have experience mentoring/coaching/teaching, particularly in environments with diverse students/participants
WHO WE ARE
GitHub is the best place to share code with friends, co-workers, classmates, and complete strangers. Over ten million people use GitHub to build amazing things together. With the collaborative features of GitHub.com, our desktop and mobile apps, and GitHub Enterprise, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write better code, faster.
We have a lot of exciting things to do, and we’re looking for the right people to grow with us!
WHY YOU SHOULD JOIN
Working at GitHub is, to put it simply, a special slice of the universe. We're committed to transparency, collaboration, experimentation, and always staying classy.
Because of this unique perspective, we've established one of the most flexible and well designed physical workspaces around that encourages you to work as you work best. Right now, over 60% of our employees are based outside of our San Francisco (SOMA) headquarters and work according to how they get their best stuff done.
Ensuring that GitHubbers are healthy, motivated, focused and creative is how GitHub stays awesome. Part of this is ensuring that our benefits* are out of this world.
In a nutshell, we've built and are growing a place where we truly love working, and we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people with many different backgrounds and lifestyles, and we like it that way. We invite applications from people of all stripes. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences that people imagine to discriminate against one another. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's anything we can do to make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate.
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask your recruiter
Interested? We would love to hear more about you and your interest in joining us at GitHub! Just fill out our application here!